Sunday, May 18, 2008

leaving on a jet plane

enjoyed an evening out with my mom in boston last night, we drove down yesterday since my flight leaves logan airport early this morning. we went, appropriately, to china town for dinner, and thoroughly enjoyed a meal at shabu zen on tyler street. authentic hotpot cuisine! delicious. i have dined there a few times before, and was eager to share the dining experience with someone in my family. so, off we went and now i hope that's what i'll be eating all summer.

i actually slept quite well last night, better than i have in a few weeks. perhaps because finals are behind me now and my plans for departure are coming to fruition after a process of writing a research proposal, interviewing in front of the international health committee at yale, preparing an internal review board application to indicate that i intend to protect my human subjects, and back-translating an interview scale from english to mandarin. in comparison to peace corps, this experience will be much different: i know exactly where i'll be located, i know what i'll be doing, i have already met my chinese research colleagues, and the duration is much much shorter (3 months versus 2 years).

i'm curious to compare&contrast further, and of course am very eager to explore changsha and other parts of china! my mom and i watched a 'discovery channel' atlas series DVD about china on friday evening, which certainly further piqued my interest in my destination.

and so, ta ta for now...

erin

No comments: